What more is there to say about Mike and the gang at Fullerton Bikes?

Discussion in 'Fullerton Bikes' started by wartorn, May 14, 2013.

1. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    Here Tony

Attached Files:

2. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    Yeah, but do you guys have his personal celly? :lol:

3. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    My eyes are bleeding. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

4. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

They are not as bad as Mike's. saw those things today . . .

5. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    Yeah I kept trying to get a picture of his but every time I got my phone out he would move lol.

6. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

dude stop bringing donuts!

7. tim0s002

tim0s002 New Member

ive had a very positive experience at FB bike shop as well. very helpful and friendly staff there. thank you Fullerton Bikes.

8. Fullerton Mike

for a minute I thought that was Dino, but he has much bigger calves , Ryan might want to get in the gym

9. 19tamatha70

19tamatha70 New Member

They are great guys and love to ride with them!

10. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

To Mike and Dino,
    Thanks for setting up my newbie friends this weekend. I've been talking up the sport for a while but they showed no interest
    until trying MTB in Ireland last month.
    This weekend they shopped around and left your store with (3) Giant bikes and a positive experience. Even your recent road rash did not deter them.
    I just have to keep them away from the Loop ...#-o

11. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    Seriously FB is becomming my new go to shop. I had an emergency pop up with my bike rack. I was on the edge of bailing out of this race becasue I would not have been able to transport the 4 bikes we needed for the race, I dont think my team would have been too happy about my bailing on them. We had even called around for a rental truck but couldnt find one I went in to FB looking to get a new bolt tray assembly and Mike hooked it up. This act of awesomeness seriously saved the day, I was able to make it out to the Mojave Death Race last weekend with everything solid and intact.

The shop is right down the street from work and they always have the things I need. Speeking of needing things Ill be stopping by tonight after work for a few supplies.

12. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    Long winded praise for FB

Well, they made this anti-LBSer a fan. Actually, I am not anti-LBS. I propose that one should support his LBS as long as that LBS supports their customers. FB certainly supports their customers.

Many here know I used to work in the bike industry. I was once on the verge of buying the shop I was managing from the owner. However, I was growing skeptical of the future strength of the bike industry and I wanted to venture off into a different career. Initially I, like most young riders, sought out a job at a bike shop for the discounts and access to the goods. I was already a good mechanic. I started out assembling bikes and doing basic repairs. I honed my skills and sought out to build upon my wrenching repertoire. I became a pro-level mechanic, confident salesman, and cocky little S.O.B. I left a high-end shop to manage a much smaller shop. I steadily increased that shop's profits by bringing in higher level products and in turn, higher level customers. We still took care of the essentials, the bread-and-butter flat repairs and small dollar sales that built the business. One thing that was instilled in me throughout was the importance of exceptional customer service.

I have a bias now when it comes to any LBS. Since I left the industry in 2002 I haven't had a need for an LBS. I was the dick who made it hard for the LBS' to make a sustainable profit. Whenever I needed parts I would scour the interwebs and shop solely on price. Or, I could hit up some of my old shop contacts who were still in the biz. I had no need for a mechanic whatsoever. Now I find myself reaching out to an LBS, any LBS as I don't have one that I can call mine. I haven't needed one. My problem is 1) I am a cheap bastard, 2) I am very particular in what I want, 3) I know what bikes and parts actually cost and the margins associated with them, see #1, 4) having been on the other side I expect the type of customer service I used to give; I want to go into an LBS and deal with me.

So, the few bike brands I can still get via my old hookups are not doing it for me. I am looking for a 5" travel 29er that will become my do-everything-bike. On the short list are Intense Spider 29, SC Tallboy LT, Transition Bandit 29, and Giant Trance 29. I demo the SC with lackluster results. I then venture into FB one morning on my way home from work.

I meet Dino (first time) and I think, "Wow, what the f@&k just happened." We talk bikes and riding like we have been friends for years. At first I am taken aback by just how Dino[adj] Dino is. I am questioning if he is this nice and passionate bout bikes or if it salesman schtick. Dino is genuinely that passionate. I leave the shop with a tentative test ride scheduled with the man himself. We meet a few days later to ride Turnbull. He sets me up with the Giant and we head out. As we talk and ride I hardly notice the bike. I am impressed with the new friend I made. Now I am impressed with the bike too. I feel a bit guilty as the ride ends. I like the bike enough to consider buying but I still want to ride others in comparison. However, the amount of generosity Dino has shown I feel should be rewarded. Whenever I travel I like to stop into shops to drool over the new and shiny bits of bikedom. Never have I come across the initial personal awe like I have with FB. Many shops have impressive inventories but fail to even say, "Hi" as you walk in.

Fast Forward a bit and I now have made two decisions. I buy a Transition Bandit 29 frame with the intent of swapping my existing parts over. My other decision is that FB will be my LBS to supply whatever I need in the build-up. The initial purchase was easy. I pick up a new stem, bars, and cables. This is where FB's customer service shines again. Knowing I need cable housing, Ethan mocks up the appropriate length and provides me with what I need without me asking. It is like dealing with myself. Outstanding. Off to the register and this is where I meet Mike. I have heard so much about him and it is all true -- another genuine individual who wants his customers to be happy. Now as we talk there is a battle going on in my head. Like I said, I am a cheap bastard, but I also feel that shops like FB are special and should be supported. I want to pay as little as possible, but I don't want to ask for a discount (I hated it when customers would ask for a discount), and I know all the expenses that go into running a business. Mike hooks me up with a deal that I am comfortable paying. This is a key philosophy in buying I have mostly maintained. Some people concern themselves with a number. Everything they buy is predicated upon a specific number. "You won't believe the deal I got. I paid $X." Then, if they see or hear of it selling for less they are devastated. Their untouchable number has lost it's power. I am more comfortable with perceived value. I may be able to find part A cheaper somewhere else. However, I am comfortable with the price I am paying here and now at FB's counter and all that is included and represented behind that counter.

Here is where FB has really shone for me. In building up my Tranny I knew the rear wheel would be an issue. My wheel is a standard 135 QR but my new frame is a 12X142 thru axle. To make it more difficult to convert, said wheels are Fulcrums with a minimally informative website and an Italian customer service desk. Mike and I exchange emails and phone conversations. He is able to order the parts I need and most importantly, keep me informed as to their status. How many times have you ordered something only to be forgotten by the shop? Mike gets the parts, Ethan installs them while I wait, and now I am riding my (mostly) new bike.

After the first few rides I would like to put a larger rotor up front and replace the fork. I know just the place to go to find what I need -- ebay:lol:

Thank You Fullerton Bikes, my 63mi. one-way LBS.

View attachment 2013-06-03 08.47.49.jpg

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Here are a couple more things that haven't been said here in a while...

He's a red Levis wearin', crossed up, former BMX Plus! test rider. And the guy who made the city of Fullerton a world-wide BMX destination in the early 80s at the infamous Parks BMX track.

Attached Files:

14. Fullerton Mike

Haaha your post is tooo much.. but after reading it I know why Love what I do... we made a difference and you noticed it! I try real hard at what I do and went out of your way to say thanks, But the THANKS is to you not me!

ps. your jersey was classic see you next Tuesday

15. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    The real question is why is Mike checking out Dino's calves?

16. chevrolegs

chevrolegs Active Member

Thanks Mike for getting my crankset put on so quickly!

17. 77charger

77charger New Member

Its a local shop for me although i really dont buy a whole lot of stuff but their staff has always been very friendly and helpful.Mike introduced himself one day and asked how i was doing i was just buying something for a few bucks.Another guy with an accent helped as i was looking at tires and answered a few questions i had and settled on the ra ras.

Only place i will go to buy parts when i do and have found most of their prices are very good my wheelset i bought was the same as online but i didnt have to pay shipping and wait for the brown truck to come buy.

18. wartorn

wartorn Member

brace yourselves.

donuts are coming.

19. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    when? i'd like to know so i can accidentally show up

20. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    That reminds me. I should drop by BP with some donuts one of these days. It's been a while.