The Path (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by guero, Feb 18, 2007.

1. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    I actually just bought a new bike there yesterday - ill post pics later. They were very helpful with my bike and the owner helped me pick several things out to make the experience better.

But I totally understand what the OP is talking about here -- I think its pretty normal with this kind of business. I surf and its the same thing when you walk into a surf shop especially if you are a newb. Maybe staff in a surf shop smile a little more though. So with that being said it doesnt bother me because I know that the vibe is just related to the sport

Basically its not like walking into the mall and having models greeting you at the door - its just a different business model. And since more guys work their lets face it, we dont smile or greet people as well as women

2. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Face puncher
    I had a nice experience at The Path and with Tani. I drove all the way from Santa Clarita to ride Fully Loop and stopped by The Path before heading back home. I was content to browse around before Tani asked if I needed help. I ended up purchasing a bike there. Tani even went so far as to watch me as I rode the bike to see if it worked for me and even brought out another bike for me to try. He even said that he could have the free bike check-up done in a few hours on my next trip down to Fully. I thought that was pretty nice customer service.

I get the OPs point too. It happens to us all.

3. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Good customer service is something that can be very tricky to execute. Even if they are having some type of meeting. How does one be attentitive but not badgering? How do you try to give a customer their space, yet not ignore them? There is no set formula for doing this. Large corporations spend lots of money training their frontline employees to provide "customer service". Often the end result sounds fake, scripted, and unsincere. Bikeshops, and other boutique shops in general don't want that cookie cutter image. As a result it works for some and not for others.

4. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Not targeting The Path, I've never been there, but this is my perspective: "Brick and mortar" businesses have to understand the reality today is that there's not a product they can offer that the public cannot source itself through the internet or mail order...for less. If a business cannot master the art of service, customer service or otherwise, it's days are numbered. It's true that consumers will pay a little more if they are appreciated and are provided with customer service. If no service is provided, there's no reason to come through the door. There's a huge difference between kissing customers' a$$es, and acknowledging their existence. The businessmen that allow consumers to enter their establishment and leave without touching base with them are damn fools. The business of retail has to evolve.

5. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Have you ever been to an Asian restaurant? What customer service?

All kidding aside. I too have had negative experiences at The Path. My first visit there I was given the wrong part and had to go back to make the exchange for the correct part. My second visit was the exact same thing. I specifically asked for a certain part and got the opposite and didn't realized until I got home. Once again, I had to make a 2nd visit to exchange for the correct part. I swore that I would never go back, however, my wife works across the street and I sometime meet her for lunch and get tempted to go back. So I gave them another shot and was very pleased with the results. I have had horrible experiences with many different front tires and Tani recommended the Specialized Purgatory. I wasn't a fan of Specialized, but it had lifetime satisfaction warranty so I gave it a whirl. It has been the best front AM tire I have ever ridden with. Even with my past few negative experiences, I was always greeted when I walked in and the staff was always asking me if I needed help. I guess I'm a born again Path customer.

6. biknpam

biknpam Member

Thank you gentlemen and ladies... I appreciate the comments and opinions. I get The Path has a rabid following; that protect the shop no matter and to the bitter end. I wish all my experiences have been as good as yours, I truly do.

Just want to make one other comment and then I am done... first I did post because, and maybe I was wrong, this was an avenue to get my message across. I have talked to the Shop about their customer service and sorry it remains hit and miss. I hoped I offered some constructive advice and if the Shop chooses to ignore it, fine.

I do believe retail businesses must cater to customers. Now there is a fine line between being customer oriented and offering good service and bending over backwards to deal with a-holes. I am not speaking about a-holes - folks that rob a shop and its staff of time and energy without intention to buy. I am not also speaking of anyone who doesn't treat the staff with the respect they themselves would expect. In fact, I believe shops should ask those people to leave.

It's funny you mention a ladies dress shop... how would you feel if you had to buy your wife a present, didn't feel comfortable going into the shop in the first place; the staff ignored you and you were forced to look through product without having clue about sizes etc. Would you not want someone to walk over and ask "do you have any questions? May I help you look?"

I get a bike shop is basically "Guy Land" like walking into Fry's or Home Depot... Guys don't ask directions and guys don't like to ask for help. But wouldn't it be nice if you had a question, you knew someone is willing to help and you had a name and face to go to? Not all women can wrench their own bikes. I can do minor adjustments but I rather leave major tunes and builds to the experts. Many women frankly could care less... I have friends who take their bikes to the shop to have tires repaired. I think that silly but they are the customer and if willing to pay let them.

In this economy shops need to hold onto and ATTRACT new business. I know many people - men and women - who went to The Path once and never returned. I feel bad if I sent them there but all I can do is lead the horse to water... just so you know I lead newbie and intermediate rides through the IRC and I often tell folks about the shop when they ask where to go.

I get perhaps there is a hit and miss on service so I will definitely make sure anyone I send over asked for Tani but of course if Tani is not there, what does the customer do? Everyone in the shop needs to be attuned to providing good customer service. In this day and age when everyting is so competitive the only thing that keeps retail shops viable is customer service.

Just my lame 2 cents but there it is...

7. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    I actually prefer being left alone when I'm in a store browsing around. If I need help, I ask. There's almost never a situation where a store doesn't have someone available to answer questions unless they're just extremely busy, but obviously you can't hold that against them. The bottom line is that it pretty much never pays to be shy. I remember one time I had to build some sort of artsy/craftsy thing for work and I went to a Michaels looking for stuff. There I was, a fish out of water, the only male in the store. You know what? I asked a couple questions, I was pointed in the right direction by a friendly staff member and I got what I needed. It was painless.

8. FunctionMode

FunctionMode New Member

I'd say about 3/4 of the times I have been to The Path I have been greeted with some variation of "Can I help you with anything?"

The other 1/4 of the time I hear nothing because nobody is near the door. They are busy helping other customers who arrived before I did. Not a problem. Just as in school you must raise your hand, when you walk in to a store you must be willing to wait in line because there are more questions than people who are able to answer them.

9. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    Every time I've been to the path I've had a positive experience. Someone has always asked, "can I help you". Often times it Tani (sp?). How many shops do you know of where the owner is working the floor? Usually I'm just checking out the latest eye candy but the few times I've needed a random part, they had it, while the 3-4 shops closer to me didn't. I stopped calling the other shops and go straight to The Path.
    The Path is a bike shop geared towards serious riders. For better or worse, they don't seem to cater to the "every once in a while" or total newbie rider... That being said, if you walked in there and said, "I'm interested in purchasing my first mountain bike." I'm sure somebody would be stoked to help you find the right one.
    I find it surprising that your friend went there to have a complete custom build done and A) Wasn't approached by a sales/service person or B) Wasn't able to say, "Hi, I know you guys are busy right now, when you get a chance I'd like to talk about a custom build or is there a better time to come back when you're less busy?" I guarantee someone would answer her questions... custom builds are what they love to do... Saturday is not the day to do them. Have you ever seen that place on a Saturday or Sunday? It's a mad house. When I would do fittings for people, I would make an appointment, usually weekday evenings, so that I could give them my full attention. The original post seems highly suspicious to me... I've worked in a number of Ski/snowboard & bike shops and you always get the people who say, "I have a lot of friends with a lot of disposable income (they are never the one with the disposable income)... blah, blah, blah. It's a cliche line used to make people snap to attention. You have to be careful with these folks. Be attentive and address their issue but be aware... they almost always want something for nothing to correct their or their friends hardship... it's an old line...

10. NO GO

NO GO Expert Beginner

Ditch Digger
    I've brought numerous newbies (guys & gals) to the Path after they’ve visited other LBS. One thing I noticed with each friend/newbie was how overwhelming the whole sport was to them at first. None of them wanted to ask a “stupid question” so they’d generally shy away or just say “no thanks or just looking” when asked if they needed any help. To get to the point, I’ve found accompanying a newbie to any LBS generally yields better results. Imagine putting your child on a bike for the 1st time without training wheels….not the best idea.
    From personal experience while walking through the store and ogling all the stuff I can’t afford the staff is always walking around and asking customers if they need help or have any questions. I guess you can’t please everyone…..either way, I’m not sure what I’d do without a LBS like The Path.

11. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    The path is a fantastic shop I only wish i had found it sooner. Every weird part i have ever needed, technical advice that is always given freely. I work on my own bikes and find the super nice/knowledgeable bike tech's to be extremely helpful even though by now they know I'll be working on the bike my self and there is no money to be made by spending time on my questions.

I'm sure there is room for improvement @ the path but so far i have not found anything for me personally and as my GF will tell you I am hyper critical of businesses and customer service/tech support.

12. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    nevermind

13. Bonsainut

Bonsainut Was ich nicht weiß...

You're right, it's tricky. But to ignore it and go with a "let's just wing it" attitude means this: you will please the customers who are most like your employee base, and lose the customers who are least like your employees. So if you are trying to grow your business with women, for example, or with business professionals who have a lot of money but not a lot of biking experience, you better be willing to train and work for that business.

By the way, I do not believe that the customer is always right. In fact many times the customer is wrong and your job is to get them to see what is right. But the customer is ALWAYS IMPORTANT. For a retail shop, by the time a person walks in your door, they have already by-passed a huge number of alternatives - competitors, online, whatever - and there is a reason THEY WANT TO BE THERE! Your job is to find that reason and give it to them. Some people just want peace and quiet and to browse. That's cool. Some people want some hand-holding and some real basic bike information. If you treat all your customers the same, you will be left with only a slice of your potential customer base because you are saying "I refuse to adapt to a market beyond what is easiest or most comfortable for me to serve". That's my point.

For some employees, this is innate. For others, it can come after training and mentoring. For others, it will NEVER come and you need to move these employees out or stick them in the back room where their job has NOTHING to do with customer interaction.

14. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    You made me smile with that. I went into the Louis Vuitton at South Coast Plaza before Christmas in my machine shop grays. I'm 50 and the 60ish women gave me the "our air conditioner is working fine - please leave" look. I waited patiently and kept smiling. Finally a pretty & petite young lady asked if I need help. I cherish the surprised look on the older ladies' faces when they found out that not only had I shopped there before, but ALL of my Louis Vuitton purchases were cataloged under my name. My boots might be a little dirty, but my money spends the same.

I do appreciate polite & timely service but at the end of the day YOU have a lot of control over your shopping experience.

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    A while back I toyed with the idea of opening a bike store. I wanted to know what makes one successful and not. Years ago I used to make a 140 mile round trip to shop at Supergo in Fountain Valley because of the great people who worked there, good prices and large inventory selection. I'd also heard about a little store in Tustin so I checked them out. I was immediately aware of the boys club attitude in the store but at the same time I wasn't ignored just not "in" the club, so to speak. But I wanted to find out more about this store so I hung around a while and watched a lot of people come and go. Some were treated warmly while others were virtually ignored. After a while a salesperson asked me a few questions and I started talking to them and after the others in the shop seen me talking to them I was suddenly now part of the club, or at least I felt that way. What I gathered from this was that even the salespeople are a little intiminated. Since that day though everytime I've gone back to the Path I've been greeted very friendly and I haven't spent a lot of money there but it seems like the whole staff knows me and I have a great time there. I think it's both ways and people who want something need to take the inititive and break the ice. If they still aren't happy ask for someone who has recommended the place to join them in a little shopping there.

16. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ it's still worth the drive! most of those guys from the old supergo shop now work at surf city cyclery. and they still have great wrenches and great customer service! (one + the other = money).

17. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

A Lot of the superego crew still works for sean at surf city cyclery in HB.

Oops! Dirt vert beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  18. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

As a female, The Path can seem a bit intimidating because it's a small business consisting primarily of male employees and customers. A lot of us know our customers well, but maybe another way to look at it is that it's us trying hard to be part of the riding community and being concerned with getting to know fellow riders on a personal basis. We don't mean to make it seem like an "old boys' club" at all.

I used to walk in and feel a bit scared - a lot of it had to do with the mass quantity of product and then rare and high-quality product. But that changed when I realized that every single person will try to drop what they're doing and help you if they can, or find someone who might be able to. We're not perfect at it, but we try and we've definitely been trying harder as of late. I can tell you as a female employee of The Path that nobody in the shop begrudges or looks down their nose at anyone unless they are intentionally rude to us. And everybody has an off day once in a while.

Addressing the over attentiveness: we've been trying really, really hard to greet and smile at everybody since we know it IS something that we can always improve. In all my time at the shop, I've never heard a conversation between employees in which we suspect someone in the take-off room is stealing or someone looks suspect. For the most part, our customers are very good to us and we trust them. I know for myself, personally, it's sometimes hard to see from the front desk what's going on back there so I try to pop in and see if there's anybody who needs help, and if it's the same person I saw a few minutes ago, I'd rather ask again if they're doing okay than stare at them and scurry off without a word.

It's a hard line to draw though, because as Craig stated, some people are adamant about not wanting assistance, some people are very open about wanting it, and some want to wait to be approached. We try our best to help everybody and we understand we don't always get it perfect, but it's a work in progress.

If your friend ever wants to return, I'm probably the least intimidating bike shop employee ever and a fellow female rider who is excited to see other female riders. I don't know all the answers, but I could find someone who probably does. She can PM me or stop by and ask for Grace.

19. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I really liked the service at the newer CM location, also. Too bad they are all Specialized. I wish they carried QBP brands like Surly and Salsa.

As for the Path, Karl has always been awesome. And Tani, of course.

20. TMS

TMS New Member

I generally agree with most of your posts, but on this one I disagree. I believe it's very effective to call a shop out in this type of forum as the entire comunity can share their first hand experience and we can all see how the shop/business responds to the sitaution and the concerns of their customer base. For me it's not as much the complaint because you can't please eveyone, but how you resond to a difficult situation. It's too easy for the shop to dismiss a "one on one" customer complaint or a personal e-mail as being a "crazy" customer and not address the actual problem.

As for me, I was at the path spending some gift certificate money just this past Saturday. I spent quite a while talking to an employee (I forgot his name) about having some wheels built and what he thought would work best given my size and riding style. He was quite attenive and gave me his full attention. I ended up getting some needed parts and not ordering wheels and he was just as happy to help with a much smaller sale. When I do eventlly pull the trigger on some new wheels, I will definitely do so at the path.