Seriously? Still F'd up?!

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by El Immigrante, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    All I was saying was: if this is how the site is going to remain, I've adjusted. (Smiley Face)

2. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I though all was good as I have been using the tapatalk app.

Was kinda surprised to see the site in its current config.

Went back to the tapatalk app. All is good.

3. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

4. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yes I understood that and I replied "that's fine". (Smiley face & wave)

I to have adjusted as well as many who continue to post on here, but like others, I can't be happy with it at all. Another example: Back in the day when Switchback Cyclery was still around, Sherry bought banner space on STR. Switchback and Jensons were the only bike shops then contributing larger sums of money to the site besides those of us who paid to "Subscribe" and got our "Doohickies" under our screennames.
    The adds would rotate from a Jenson's add to a Switchback add that announced a sale. Then the site crashed. After STR got "fixed" the banner adds on the home page stopped rotating from Jenson's to Switchback Cyclery so Sherry cancelled. Ask her how much it cost for Switchback to advertise on here for it not to work. Many of you(not you directly per say) have not put in time or money into this site but many of who remember the things I've mentioned have contributed a lot. As of now, non of vendor forums have banners working even in their respective forums. http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Vendor-Forums

I still have all my Mod functions working, but I 1st came on STR to see RR's of places I have not ridden which inspired me to go out and ride those placed. My RR's served the same purpose and a hopes it inspires others. I have yet to post my RR of my ride with OMR in Georgia during my receny vacation and probably won't if the pic loader doesn't get fixed, therefore, I can't be pleased with this of it remains.

5. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Same here. :sly:

6. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    I guess there are 2 ways to look at this. 1. This site is free of charge, therefore, we should appreciate it for what it is rather than complain. 2. Although it's free, without traffic (STR members) there would be no advertisement and this site would not generate any source of revenue from sponsors or banner advertisements. I was an avid mountain biker back in the early 90's and had one of the first full suspensions - Mongoose something, which was bought out by AMP. Fox wasn't even in the game back then. I gave up riding in the mid 90's and started up again in late 2008. Ran into an STR group at El Moro and he introduced me to the site (don't know who he was). Lurked for a few months and then joined the site in 2009. Without STR I don't think I would be as enthusiastic about mountain biking as I would be today. I'm on my 6th bike in 5 years. I have met quite a bit of great people on STR and continue to meet more every day. The owner built a community that has helped us developed many friendships, a place to vent or get advice, buy/sell/trade bike and non-bike stuff, and read some fascinating ride reports. Unlike Facebook, STR is a place where there is a commonality amongst all members and most are within a short drive from one another. The owner of STR has a responsibility to his members and not abandon and walk out on us. He has the responsibility to his sponsors whom have supported him year after year. He has a responsibility to the mods whom have dedicated part of their lives, blood, sweat and tears to help keep this site going day in and day out. Abandoning STR is like abandoning your family. That's just a pissed poor way to live your life.

7. genusmtbkr5

Well put Jonathan and I agree that we all met many great friends on here. One more thing though is that although it cost nothing to join STR, remember when STR was in need of a server upgrade? It was the members who stepped up and contributed $$ to keep STR going which is why I mentioned "time or money" in my previous post.

8. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    Yeah, I know. I host supports it. Another option is to move it to a better more stable platform.

9. tracysurf

tracysurf New Member

World domination one website at a time - owner of
    Home Page:
    We pay with our eyes, contributions and patronage to the sponsors. I mostly buy from Jenson and just kicked down for a super sick custom Carbon Yeti SB95 from the Path. Here since 2007.

Looks like the moderators are working... my post got edited.
    No complaints. Hopefully the message got through :)

10. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Thanks Jonathon =)

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Gene, thank you for your many years of hard work here.

12. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

So, you mean to tell me nobody has his number? I mean considering how active he used to be in STR it's hard to believe no one has it.

Seriously, It's time for him to stop acting like a delinquent father and hand over the reigns to someone who cares.

13. genusmtbkr5

George hasn't been active on STR in quite sometime, but to answer your question, I have his number, but I'm not going to just give it out to anyone on here.

In the past, I have called only to get his voice mail, leave message and get no return call, sent text and get no replies. I've sent PM's on here, sent PM's on Facebook, all with no luck. There comes a point when you just give up on trying to contact him.

Thanks Lee. I've been more than happy to do it even at times I get frustrated and it'll show in some of my postings. I owe a lot to STR. I gained many friends, been part of many memorable rides and events and have learned a lot from you and others on here about riding technique, bike maintenance, trails to ride and even tolerance. It's just sad to me that STR seems to be dying a slow, but certain death when it doesn't have to since many here are willing to help or even take it over.

14. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    How do you know he is not in the hospital with a coma or dead on living room floor? Mabe someone should call the cops and have a welfare check done on him. This sounds like a missing person case.

15. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Gene I still owe you for a few beers for stuff I can't remember. You are one of the old soldiers of STR. Thanks man for everything.

16. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired

My comment wasn't directed at you or Dino....you guys (and any other Mods) have a legit gripe....us as members don't....if we dont' like the way it's performing then either deal w/ it or move on....its not worth the effort to bitch and complain about something sooo small.....this is a 1st World Problem....

This is George's MO.....throughout the yrs many skilled members have offered their programing skills to help w/ this stuff but he has chose to not take on help from members(for the most part)

To me it seems like someone should start up a new site SocalTrailRidersTheNextGeneration.com (STRTNG). They will soon find out HOW MUCH work it really is...

17. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I'll be here till the end, even attend its funeral but in the meantime I'm getting as many numbers so I don't lose contact w some righteous people. (Clapping Hands...lol)

18. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    My point about other sites seems to have been made - several sites have waxed and waned in popularity throughout the years. It is sad to see something familiar become archaic, but seems to be part of the evolution of the web. If this is so problematic to some, then a new site may be beneficial.

Facebook doesn't have the community feel? The community feel of STR has been changing since its inception. Back in the day when everyone knew each other, we all rode together; there seemed to be less animosity and intentional "stirring of the pot" attitudes - few tried to purposely infuriate others. Now, with the protection of the keyboard as well as large population, people turn on each other for simple misunderstandings rather than forming true friendships whereby problems can get worked out on the trail. Maybe it's an OC thing, where everything and everyone is disposable, but it seems to suck. Don't tell me there is more of a community feel here.

That being said, I have met several wonderful people and formed enduring friendships with many. However, the feel of the board has become click-y with a touch of bitch (coming from me, a total bitch, that should say a lot). The community on here has been splintering; new sites embracing those factions would be great. Then maybe we can get back to the fun, ride focused, wonderful forum that it was intended to be. Instead of complaining and skipping rides because someone pissed someone else off online, we can all wave and greet each other as we pass on the trail.

19. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Wrecker that was well put, but let's not blame the demise of STR on OC.. it sure seems like it doesn't take much to get the fingers pointed at Orange County from many on this site.. I'm pretty sure everyone/everything in every OC resident's mind is not disposable, nor is OC the only place in the country ( or state for that matter) with it's share of apathy. The OC is FAR from perfect but let's not blame everything on it..

20. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    Honestly i dont see a lot of fighting in the posts. Not saying tis perfect but for the most part people are respectable.