RockShox Summer Consumer Clinic

Discussion in 'Jenson USA' started by Seth Kendall, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Seth Kendall

Seth Kendall New Member

High School Science Teacher
    Curious about the new RockShox Pike fork? Want to know what all the knobs do on your fork/shock, and how to properly set up your suspension? Then, come by Jenson USA, Riverside on July 31st @ 6:30pm for our RockShox Summer Consumer Clinic. To add to your temptation there will be light, but delicious snacks provided.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/216719928481273/

If you can't make it to the Riverside one on the 31st then come out to Jenson USA, Corona on August 1st for a repeat of the awesomeness.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/216719928481273/

Please RSVP to whichever event you are attending or both so we know how many to plan for.
    Cheers, S.

For those who are hiding from the NSA as best as possible by avoiding Facebook here are the details for both events, and you can RSVP here to help us keep count for food:
    RockShox New Product and Tuning Clinic

Jenson USA, Riverside
    @6:30pm July 31st
    Light snacks provided

Jenson USA, Corona
    @ 7pm August 1st
    Other delicious snacks provided.
    Pike.jpg

2. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    Darn it can't attend have to work. Can you ask them if they have the 26 in 160mm dual position ALL Black can't find that anywhere

3. vamaro

vamaro Member

Did my first ride on a 160mm Pike today. I dont have the dual position. I went with the standard version becasue there is a lockout on it for climbing. The fork felt really good and should feel better once I get it dialed in better.

4. Seth Kendall

Seth Kendall New Member

I'll see what I can do. It looks so good all blacked out!

5. Seth Kendall

Seth Kendall New Member

Glad to hear that the fork is working out well. I think it looks to be one of the best offerings out there. I have yet to ride one, but I am hoping to change that soon. If you get a chance, come by one of the events and the RockShox guys will help you get it fully dialed.

6. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I went to the Fox repair clinic earlier this year and it was great. The fox mechanic showed us all sorts of tips on how to rebuild suspension. I've rebuilt my own forks for years but it was cool watching an expert do it and being able to ask him questions.

I'd recommend these clinics for anyone who likes to work on their own bike.

7. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    So what did they say......?

8. Bplus

Bplus New Member

Dang, I'm sorry I missed this one.

9. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer

Would one of these clinics be good for a newer wrencher? I would like to work on my own bike but I am afraid of messing things up. I think these things should improve my confidence.

10. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Multiple bikes helps with that. It's not too uncommon that I pull something apart and need to order new small parts and that bike becomes down for a few days. It's that fear that your one and only bike goes down that keeps you from working on it yourself, I think. Stuff is actually pretty simple and straightforward once you look at it, and it helps to better appreciate the quality of some parts you once thought were overpriced (or not mainstream in some other way). It helps to go in with a plan, but detailed exploded diagrams aren't always available, so you just need to take your time taking a good look on the real deal the first time.

Learning how to do something ain't really the difficult part. It's learning how to do it in much less time (minutes, instead of days waiting for parts). I wouldn't call someone a true pro bike mechanic unless they can take a hold of a bike with a common issue, like poor shifting, give it a run through, and turn a few dials/screws and in about 1 minute, it's working to most rider's satisfaction (many mechanics probably would tweak it further to suit their higher standards). Anyone with a will can figure it out, but it might just take a 1/2 hour of fiddling. It takes a good understanding and honed senses to get to that true pro state, this coming from a former pro mechanic (on aircraft).

Honestly, you just need exposure. I buy a lot of used bike stuff because I'm not afraid to work on it, and it provides good "exposure" to issues that I can't track down to my own habits. Just today, I was working on the bike while I was bringing up a pot of water to a boil, and fixed it up nice in that ~10 minutes (also found that my bonty carbon bottle cage cracked, since I was using it "side-swipe" style). You probably got plenty of opportunity to do something to improve your wrenching skills; you just got to do it. The $1-10 for various small parts here and there and a little elbow grease can make your bike ride almost better than new (such as riding without a squeak). I still consider myself a noob bike wrench, honestly, and I look up to the real wrenchers. I find these kind of clinics can help your understanding a bit, as long as you have a vague understanding. It's always nice to gain knowledge from the more reputable sources.

11. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    I know the derailleurs are not technical but they are rather critical. For example: After a rear tire change in my last tri I lost 2-3 gears, for some reason, in the first 7-10 miles of the 56 mile bike leg. I am sure if I knew more about the derailer I could have regained the gears on the race and had a much better day.

12. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Odd. Changing a rear tire did that? Did the cable slip or something? Or was the cable housing not fully seated in the cable stop? If that happened, then you would've lost your climbing gears out back.