POW! tubeless tire blow-off on pavement. now I'm afraid.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CarlS, Mar 6, 2014.

1. wheeler

wheeler Member

And 40 psi is for the little hoops. For a 29'er I never ride over 25 psi.....and I am 190 lbs.

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    As a early adopter of 29ers I used to roll tires off rims with tubes in them at 30lb of pressure. Things much better now that rim manufactures and tires companies seem to do a better job with compatibility issues.

3. CarlS

CarlS Member

While it certainly is a loose fit now, I don't recall it being excessively loose when I first mounted it. I have had many tires that I can roll on by hand and didn't think much of it. I think it really got stretched when it blew off. I didn't know 45 psi was so dangerous. So I guess it was a combo of bad/wrong tire and too much pressure. I am going to run it for now with a tube and keep the pressure below 40. Glad I didn't have to learn this the hard way. Like I said, I have a few rides on this before it blew and several times at high speed down steep and rough asphalt. Gives me chills to think what would of happened if it blew coming down some of those hills. So I guess the CX guys don't run tubeless? or just live with squishy tires on the road?

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I would be leery of any new tubeless tire I could put on the rim by hand. A

5. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Close call! Vee rubber tires....at least the one's I own seem to run bigger than most other brands. It was quite an ordeal to mount them tubeless on a UST rim. It looks like your Stans also dried out <100 miles ago.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

This is not necessary......if you are running a tube, then by all means the psi rating on the side of the tire is valid. You should be able to run 45-65 psi with a tube, no problem.

The under 40 psi that everyone is refering to is for tubeless.

7. CarlS

CarlS Member

Well, the rear is still tubeless. and it is probably still around 40-45 psi. Not sure if I am going to pull it apart and tube it or not yet.

Nighthawk, re: stans dried out... nah... I got it all over my legs. it makes white boogers that stick in you leg hair and don't come off in the shower. it had plenty of fresh stans.

did some searching, found some of these guys are running 50+ psi tubeless. Risky business.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i...l-inflate-highest-recommend-psi-853478-2.html

yikes.

8. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    A friend was trying to get an older tire to seat recently, kept putting the Stan's in, kept leaking, moved wheel around, refilled and went a touch overboard on pressure. Just sitting in his garage after previously airing it up with the compressor it unexpected exploded off the rim and made a mess everywhere from what he said. The tire needs pressure to hold the bead of the tire to the rim and it really helps to have a setup designed to work together, but I could see how too much pressure might force the sidewall and overall tire to stretch and pull the bead up or not let it seat well.

I'm still running tubes and knew you could go fairly low on pressure with tubeless but wasn't aware the upper limit was so low but it does make sense. For tubeless-ready tires it would be nice to see manufacturers mark the sidewall with tubed and tubeless pressures although they can't know what type of rim you're using which might make a difference.

9. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Stay of the paved roads, problem solved. No just kidding. Riding on low tires just asks for bad things to happen. A general rule is riding them as hard as your confort zone can stand. That way when flying rock gardens and you put all your weight, momentum and gravity on one little point you wont burp or flat.
    Happy single trac take offs and happy landings.