I'm new and I suck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ponch, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    Hey,

My name is Jesse and I'm very new to mt biking. I just moved to Laguna Niguel and I haven't rode any of the local trials yet. Lets see, I married w/ kids so I mainly ride early on weekends. Anyway, any one in the South County area in the same situation wants to ride, drop me a line.

2. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Welcome!:beer:

There are lots of good trails in the area, even for a beginner! I'd say get yourself out to Aliso/Woods Canyon and RIDE! You can build up from there, but I found that place to be a good "training ground" for developing the endurance and skillz to take with you to the gnarlier climbs and descents that you'll be "fiending" for before you know it!

3. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    I moved here from Boston (originally from Long Beach, Ca) and I rode a few times out there. The trails seemed wetter, rocker and generally crappier then here. I'm basing this off of my experience running the local OC trails in X-C and Track but in my HS days.

4. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Welcome, im in Rancho Santa Margarita. Me and a buddy, he's a rookie, like to ride Aliso, he lives right there. Let me know when your going out, any rides a good ride, no matter how short, long, fast or slow.

5. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Everyone is new and sucks when they start. There plenty of trails all over. Defintely check out GEOLADDERS.com They have a complete list of every trail in Orange County plus.

Lots of guys ride Aliso, probably closest to you. I ride there almost weekly, so we'll let you know for our next ride.

Kippie

6. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Welcome to STR. Great group of guys here. I've been riding for about 4 years now and I still suck, so don't feel bad. If you don't crash, that means you aren't riding hard enough. (or just means you are hung over). :beer:

7. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

welcome new guy! I dont suck as much as DiNO!! Well probably I suck mORE!! lol I'm a noob too and Never done that traill before so when ever u want to hit it let me know!! I would like to tag along \\:D/

8. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Relatively speaking we're all noobs compared to somebody else :) I'm a 'noob' compared to a lot of the other people on STR, that's for sure.

9. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Welcome to STR, i've been riding for 15 years, and to this day i still walk around with scabs #-o

10. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    I don't know what everyone's deal is...

I'm pretty amazing.

11. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I'm still hurting (wrist) from my failed attempt at the Staircase From Hell (Noble Cyn).

I've found everyone has a strength. Some are climbers, some better at the technical stuff. If you can stick with it long enough to get in pretty good shape, it opens up some really fun ride possibilities in the local mountains and such.

I highly recommend Mountain Biking Orange County (green trail book by Vogel). It's only about $12, pretty complete, fairly accurate, and very consistent in terms of ratings for effort and technical difficulty. Most bike shops carry it. Once you do a few rides, you'll be able to calibrate yourself for planning other rides in the book.

12. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    Man, I'm really glad I found this forum. I think I will follow everyone's advice and start at Aliso. It might still be wet this weekend, so maybe the weekend after next. Anyway, if anyone else wants to ride whenever, where ever, let me know.

Jesse

13. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    I second that book recommendation pete. My copy is folded, scribbled-in, and caked with dirt! :bang:

I'm with Kipp on riding aliso often. We'll have to ride there once things dry out!

14. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

dude let me know when u hit that trail! I never been there. maybe Steve, Dino or George can help us out on the guide thing! :bang: I'm sure Jared would like to join us now that he's back from his accident :beer:

btw I ride the Fullerton loop or Carbon Canyon often (b/c they're near my house lol) so let me know if u want to join.

15. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    Another nice novice ride is Whitting. It has a decent climb and should take you no more than 90 minutes even if you walk the climbing portion. Welcome to STR

16. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Good call on Whiting, it really has a bit of everything for the beginner riding. You get some nice shaded areas, an exposed fireroad climb that will be sure to bust your lungs as a beginner and some fun and fast singletrack on the bottom portion, shaded of course.

17. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    Cool beans

I have found a few websites that list the mentioned trails, which is cool, but the good thing about this forum is that folks are willing to meet and ride. Don't liking riding alone due to the whole crashing, hurting spine, unable to move (but can see) and having a Mt Lion eat you while you sit there and watch thing. My biggest problem is the technical aspect of riding (picking lines, downhill, dealing with obstacles, etc). I have a strong distance running background which has helped the stamina/endurance part. Although I have noticed different muscles hurt after a ride then a run. Anyway, looks like rain on Friday so this weekend is probably a no-go, but maybe next weekend. How do you guys organize to meet (email list, here on the forum, etc)?

18. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    Hey four,
    I'm in Laguna Niguel (right by the lake next to aliso/wood) and also from Boston. Haven't been riding for a loooong time and need to get back into it. Let me know if you want to go for a sunday morning ride (pretty much my only free time).

19. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Well I rode Fullerton loop today and it was not bad @ all!! it was even better then I tough so I think we need to go out there this weekend!! Who's w/me? and George u think u can play the guide this one time? :)

20. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    Too bad it is raining, maybe next weekend Aliso