Hey

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Frozen208, May 13, 2006.

1. Frozen208

Frozen208 No pain no gain

Hi guys/gals, I have been intersted in mountain biking for some time, used to go out in the fields around my house when I was little before they were houses and a freeway. Anyways, part of the reason I want to start is to get back into shape. Used to play hockey years ago, but since I have gotten a little ovalish. 8-[

I also was wondering if you have any advice on an inexpensive bike. I have an OLD Gaint Awesme 24" bike right now. But since I dont have a lot of time working full time(retail so only 2 free weekends a month) and going to school full time I wont have a lot of time to ride. I was looking at the IBEX Alpine 450, but do any shops have one that I can see in person when I am ready to make a purchase.

2. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Hello and welcome to the site.

Ibex only sells online, they don't have any local dealers. FWIW I started off on a Specialized Hardrock that handled my weight without any complaints. I'm no lightweight, I'm currently 265 and I was heavier than that when I started riding the Hardrock. The only reason I don't have it anymore is that I gave it to a friend after I moved on to a different bike. The Hardrock Sport is similarly priced as the Ibex you mentioned and it's something you will definitley be able to test ride at a local shop before you plunge down the cash or plastic.

Agustin

3. Frozen208

Frozen208 No pain no gain

I guess I should have included my weight and height. Well I am about 5'7" 193lbs, and I have a 25 inseem. And at first at least I dont think I will be doing anything too challenging. But the closest trails for me are Claremont Wilderness Park/Patato Hill, Cucamonga Canyon, and Southridge.

4. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Welcome to STR, my advice for you is to check out the product reviews on www.mtbr.com and see what people are saying about the bike or bikes you are interested in. There are so many variables when it comes to picking a bike, but of utmost importance is fit.

Welcome to your new addiction.

5. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Welcome to STR, Frozen208.

I'm 5'8 and ride a med. frame, my advice is to go to an LBS like Incycle in San Dimas or Chino and check out a hardtail. Hardtails are the best bikes for a tight budget; and also for the trails that you listed.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Coates in Pomona Foothill & Towne Ave, also has some fairly inexpensive entry level bikes.

If you're interested keep an eye out and join some of us on some rides thru Marshall or a slog up Potato. Epic Mtn Biker sometimes schedules rides for newbies and easier paced rides. It will help a lot to join in on these rides.

Good luck and hope to see you out there as this is one of my local rides too.

7. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    I got my PACIFIC at Cosco and it is pretty sweet. If you want to ride the Fullerton Loop I can show you a thing or five about it.

Keep on blazing the trails!

8. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

I was thinking of scheduling a beginner ride on Saturday, the 27th @ Marshall, & an advanced ride on Sunday, the 28th in the Santa Monica's. i'll post the details soon.

9. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Hey welcome Frozen!

Oh, EMB, dude, I'm down with that ride on the 27th. Let's do it!