Dr. Thompson road rage incident/sentencing(merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tkblazer, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Roadie Rage?

Thank you all for being adults and processing this info rationally. It's good to hear than Ron has recovered enough to be on a radio show, hopefully he solicited donations tho help with the other riders shoulder. It seems likely that the good doctor may have not been able to pass the initial ambulance. So there is a good chance other drivers were inconvenienced from a critical mass influx of riders who don't pay the exorbitant premium residence requires there. So imagine fuming in traffic for an extended period only to come upon another potential roadblock that insinuates your mother or father may have been livestock.

In that light I could almost understand the last Big gulp of orange slice that showered me on a day that was much like this morning not very warm. It's really a sad state when people are reduced to animal behavior after losing control over their emotions. All we can count on is the legal system being even more sedate than the doctor's trip down his hill. I think the judge wise in setting a reasonable bail as the defendant will need plenty of time to formulate a defense with his counsel and shield his assets from liability. I'd put a lower risk on his flight than the chance of the of the neighborhood erecting a gate and swaying zoning to ticket non-residents or install speed bumps. And all this because someone felt the urge to speak out.

God bless the amendments, especially the first one.

2. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
  3. Permagrin

Permagrin Hard landing comin' up!

What an a-hole. Can you imagine what his emergency room bedside manner is like? I hope they prosecute him fully.

4. drclark

drclark I aim to misbehave

Engineer
    Wow, reading the comments on that article is scary. Us bikers have it bad. Hate on the trails from hikers, hate on the roads from drivers. I hope the doc gets sued into the poor house. However, I wonder if the long term result will be Mandeville Canyon Road becoming a private drive with a gate? Unfortunately, the residents up there probably have the cash and political pull to do something like that. We should all write letters to Bill Rosendahl to make sure our voices are heard.

drc

5. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:

Haha, I give thumbs down signs too. People just look at me puzzled! :?:

The problem that the residents have with cyclists is probably the traffic and their problem with the traffic is that it slows them down on their way home or way to work, whatever. Installing a gate will also delay them to have to stop at the gate and wait for it to open. Not to mention if they ever forget their little key card or whatveer is used to open the gate, or if it is a pin and they are not close enough to the gate and have to exit their car to enter the pin.

The point is, they probably dislike the cyclists because it increases their commute time (minimally). They would rather have a gate to remove any cycling traffic (elitists) even though the gate would probably increase their commute more than the cyclists do.

6. Burner

Burner WAWE

Bikes on this road are not adding to anyone's commute, this is a sparsely populated dead-end canyon, and it is not a steep hill, almost completely flat. Not enough traffic to worry about going around a cyclist when you come up on one. Living in LA, I can't think of a street with less traffic actually, which is why bikes like it. I'm sure this is more an issue of an angry type person, having a gripe with bikes, and annoyed with their presence in his 'hood.

Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't on Westridge, lots more opportunity for close calls there, and not as easy to go around cyclists.

7. rjcornelia

rjcornelia Iron Pony

i feel he should get charged with assault with a deadly weapon at the very least.

8. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist

Dunno how I missed that! All the KFI shows (including John & Ken) are avaliable to listen to online "On Demand" though if anyone is interested. Do you know which hour they talked about it?

9. slo65

slo65 Balls of fluff

Living the dream
    my mom actually knows this jerk (she's an RN of 30+ years and has worked with him) says he's a real high strung asshole

10. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Driving home from work and listening to KFI, I heard that the DA is bringing lesser charges against the Doc... "assault causing bodily harm" as opposed to "ADW: automobile". From the cops who were on the scene, it appears that there was cause to believe that there was enough of an exchange between the cyclists and Doc that the ADW might not stick. Max sentence will be 7 yrs., but as the Doc has no prior record and probably a good lawyer, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets probabation with no time in jail/prison. The civil suit will be a different story though... i'm guessing the Doc will pay BIG. Justice of another sort, but justice nonetheless.

11. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    Just received this from the L.A. County Bicycle Coalition

Road Rage on Mandeville - Latest News

L.A.'s cycling community is rallying around the issue of improving cyclist-motorist relations following a shocking road rage incident on Mandeville Canyon Road on the 4th of July. On a day when hundreds of cyclists enjoyed the 5 mile climb and meandering descent of the two-lane residential road, upper Mandeville resident Dr. Christopher T. Thompson, a motorist with a police-documented history of harassing cyclists on Mandeville, came up behind two Cynergy riders honking and yelling out of his car, passed them closely and then slammed on his brakes right in front of them, causing serious injuries to both. Dr. Thompson was arrested by LAPD at the scene.

The case is being handled by the District Attorney's office, and LACBC has learned that the multiple felony charges filed against Dr. Thompson today could land the 59-year-old emergency physician in state prison for up to 7 years, 8 months, in additional to collateral consequences of such felony charges, which may include the revocation of his medical license. He is charged with Reckless Driving Causing Injury, Inflicting Gross Bodily Injury, and Battery Causing Serious Injury - two counts each (for the two cyclists that he hurt), six felonies altogether. The Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case said he has "no sympathy" for this motorist, and called this "a dark day for Mr. Thompson".

L.A. City Councilmember Bill Rosendahl (Council District 11) has called a public meeting, to address residents' and cyclists' concerns about Mandeville Canyon Road and Westside cycling issues in general, on Monday July 14th at 6:30pm at the Felicia Mahood Multipurpose Center at 11338 Santa Monica Blvd. http://www.lacity.org/council/cd11/hottopics/cd11hottopics255254342_07112008.pdf

Cycling advocates, particularly those who frequent Mandeville Canyon, are encouraged to attend. This is a good way for you to get involved, and to bring L.A.'s cycling community together for the very important cause of safety on our roadways.

All of us at LACBC wish Ron and Christian, the two cyclists injured in this horrible incident, a complete and speedy recovery! And we will continue to follow this case to see that this kind of illegal, dangerous road rage behavior is appropriately punished.

Jennifer Klausner
    Executive Director

12. Soc Eye

Soc Eye New Member

Hopefully someone in prison will detangle that asshole.

13. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

A felony conviction could mean that he loses his license. He deserves more than that, but it's probably the worst punishment he'll get.

14. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
  15. SnookDawg

SnookDawg cookie monsta

I think it's great that velonews is covering this trial. From reading the updates it sounds like the Doc's lawyer is pulling out all the stops trying to get the two victims to lose their cool but they are doing a good job testifying so far. The responding police officer's testimony should be pretty key too.

If a conviction comes out of this (which seems justified) I hope the judge doesn't go easy on this guy. It would be a major blow to cyclists everywhere if the Doc just got a slap on the wrist. Time in jail is the only thing that will make me feel like justice was done. I want motorists to know that if they assault me with their vehicle they will go to jail.

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I love how its not the Docs fault, its just they cant ride.:lol::lol:

17. dirtmistress

retired
    Prone to tipping over! Oh Lordy! I hope there are no bike haters on the jury!

18. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

I'm already banned from the Marketplace section and this might get me banned altogether.

If it does, was nice knowing you all.

Also, since certain words get the asterisk, for clarity I abbreviated the word used with "eff".

But here goes for Dirtmistress...

Defense attorney cross-examines cyclists in LA road rage case

By Patrick Brady

©Velonews

Published: Oct. 20, 2009

Two cyclists were looking for a fight before an incident that led to assault charges being filed against a California driver, the driver's attorney suggested in court Monday. The attorney for Dr. Christopher Thomas Thompson also suggested that one of the cyclists may have simply fallen on his own accord.

Thompson is on trial in Los Angeles Superior Court, charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and other violations in connection with a July 4, 2008, confrontation in a Los Angeles area canyon and an earlier incident involving a cyclist on the same road.

Prosecutors say Thompson, 60, a former emergency room physician, purposely braked in front of the two riders as they descended Mandeville Canyon Road.

Defense attorney Peter Swarth tried to show a jury that injured cyclists Christian Stoehr and Ron Peterson were already looking for trouble before the confrontation and collision last year. Swarth also suggested that at least one of the cyclists may have simply succumbed to the inherent instability of his bicycle, lost balance and fallen over.

In testimony last week, Stoehr told prosecutors that he hit the back of Thompson's Infiniti sedan, rolled over the top of the car and fell into the left lane of the road. Stoehr suffered a grade-3 shoulder separation and road rash in the incident. Peterson, the more seriously injured of the two, crashed through the car’s rear window. The impact broke his nose, nearly severing it and shattered several of his teeth. Surgeons used more than 90 stitches to reattach his nose.

On Monday, Swarth finished Stoehr’s cross-examination, with questions largely centered on details of his cycling clothing. Swarth questioned Stoehr about his explanation regarding his impact with the rear of the car, wondering aloud how Stoehr ended up on the ground in front of the car. When Stoehr had difficulty explaining the physics involved, Swarth suggested that Stoehr simply lost balance and fell down.

’My face did that.’

Deputy District Attorney Mar Stone then called Peterson to the stand, taking him through his history as a cyclist, his coaching business, the location of the accident and the nature of the holiday ride, before moving on to the incident.

Peterson said that before the impact, Thompson pulled alongside him and spoke through the open passenger window. He said several words before Peterson said he clearly made out, “Ride single file.” He testified that Thompson seemed angry and, because his car was within a foot of Peterson, he felt “he was bullying me.”

Peterson said he responded by saying, “eff you.”

Peterson said Thompson then pulled ahead and stopped.

The back of the car “felt like a wall,” he said. Stone displayed a photo of the back of the car. Peterson pointed to a hole in the rear window and said, “My face did that.”
    Then, pointing at large red drops on the trunk, he said, “That’s my blood.”

Peterson said after he pulled himself out of the window and got off the car, Thompson got out. Peterson responded, “Get the eff away from me.” Asked about what he said next he admitted he told Thompson, “I’m going to eff you up.”

“What happened next?” Stone asked.

“I sat down,” Peterson said. “I was hurt and I wasn’t doing anything. I said it. I’m not proud.”

Stone asked if any of Peterson’s injuries resulted in long-term problems.

“I still can’t feel my nose,” Peterson said as he pointed to scars across the bridge of his nose, on his lip and chin. Peterson added that will have to undergo further surgery to remove the scars.

Testimony then turned to his bicycle and for the court some description was required to convey what would be obvious to any cyclist, that the head tube was broken and separated from the top and down tubes. No other damage was discussed.

In cross-examining the witness, Swarth suggested that “bicycles are inherently unstable,” a point Peterson vigorously disputed. Most of the cross-examination focused on Thompson’s proximity to Peterson and the known statement, “Ride single file.”

Swarth spoke rapidly and frequently interrupted Peterson and even sometimes the judge. The court sustained six separate objections from the prosecution that Swarth was mischaracterizing Peterson’s statements or questioning him in an argumentative manner.

“You were out of control,” Swarth told Peterson at one point. “You wanted him to stop. Why shout ‘eff you?’ There’s something dangerous about saying ‘eff you,’ isn’t there?”

“Only in this case,” Peterson responded.

’I want justice’

Swarth proceeded to pick apart Peterson’s previous testimony that Thompson’s car was stopped when he hit it. Peterson had conceded in earlier testimony that Thompson’s car probably had not yet come to a full stop by the time he hit it. But Peterson, stuck to his guns, saying, “That was my perception. It felt like I hit a wall.”

Swarth finished his cross-examination by questioning Peterson’s motives for participating in the criminal case. “You’re furious,” he said.

“That’s not the right word,” Peterson responded. “I’m not happy. It’s complex. I want justice.”

’They flipped me off. I slammed on my brakes’

Investigating officer Robert Rodriguez testified that when he arrived at the accident, Thompson told him, “I live up the road. There were bikes in front of me, three across the road. They flipped me off. I stopped in front of them. I wanted to teach them a lesson. I’m tired of them.”

Stone then played Thompson’s 911 call in which Thompson can be heard saying, “Get your bike out of the road, why don’t you?”

“There are three bikers in the road. They flipped me off. I slammed on my brakes.”

When the operator asked if there were any serious injuries, Thompson responded, “not really, but they’ll tell you that.”

Cross-examination of Rodriguez begins on Tuesday.

19. dirtmistress

retired
    Thanks for doing that! :wave: Any idea why I couldn't? I tried on 2 different computers. A Mac and a PC.

20. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    you're most welcome.

Not sure.

I'm on maxed out MacBook Pro, and I did have to do some editing on the text after I posted it. But I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

No worries, it's what we are here for!