Cyclocomputer

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by CA_descender, Jun 16, 2010.

1. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    You caught that did ya? ;):beer:

I have narrowed it down to the Sigma BC 1909HR or the V3. I have always used Cateye computers and never had a problem.

The Sigmas look just right and I like the 1909HR over the 2209MHR and ROX 8.0 as the additional functions offered I do not need/want.

So the decision comes down to a)past experiences, none have been with Sigma; b) price, as the V3 is 65$ more and c) which one do I think will look better on the roadie. :-k

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Go with Cateye. I recall them having good customer service.
    Before I got hooked on the VDO, I had a Sigma and it gave me problems. Just my 2 cents!

3. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Update on 'puter purchase

Maybe this will help someone else who is looking as well.

I did a lot of research on the Cateye V3, Sigma BC1909HR and the Sigma ROX 8.0 that was recommended earlier in this thread.

All three got good reviews with the ROX 8.0 getting the best and the 1909HR the worst because of a bad signal from the chest strap.

I shopped around to try and find the V3 locally and could not. I then looked for the two Sigmas locally and only found the 1909HR and that was at REI so I gave it a shot. Just like the reviews said, crappy transmitter in the chest strap. It would only read the HR for 2 or 3 minutes and then stop so I returned it.

I then looked for the V3 and ROX 8.0 on-line. I could get the V# for 170 from one of the local on-line retailers (forgot if it was Jenson or Price point) and the ROX was selling for about the same price. Then Amazon put the ROX up for 149 and free shipping. I really never wanted to buy cycling gear from Amazon but took the chance and bought the ROX 8.0 as it recieved better reviews then the V3 AND the price was more appealing.

I now have a few rides using it and I am very impressed. Easy to read display, all the cycling functions are accurate as well as the HR, all readings of altitude are very close to actual as well as % grade readings.

A few other cool features, I think, that it gives;
    Uphill speed, avg/max uphill speed, avg/max distance/min speed, rate of ascent as well as altitude gain/loss and all the same readings for descending as well. Also, real temp, max temp and min temp and for those interested, kcals burned but we know that can very A LOT from person to person.

Oh yeah, you can also download ALL trip data to the PC via a docking station which will hopefully be here in a day or two.

For more info here is the link;
    ROX 8.0

p.s. Forgot to add, if you run aero forks getting the speed sensor set right can be difficult. Also, if your bike does not have standard chainstays, say round or oval, it will also be difficult to set the cadence sensor up. I have to run mine on the bottom side and for the speed sensor I had to somewhat "mold" the base to the fork.

4. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

Second sigma rox 8 or9 easy to use second bike is easy option and has all funcions, make sure to know how to emliminate the audible alarms or be dialed in ur riding when riding with others. Hate computers but no wires and simple to use... pasadena cyclery sold me on this one and even though it was pricey I'm lovin it bc its simple and has tons of info.
    I use the gps on my droid, my trax, within 10 percent accurate and I listen to music while recording trax, I've gotten a 7 hr ride while runnin both with around 15 percent batt life left over...wow that really is to much computer for any ride.
    Gps will be less accurate the more twisting the trail for. Long road stretches the info is pretty accurate