CATALINA ISLAND GRAND FONDO - May 12th, 2012

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by wizard, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    We can do this. I have a place on the island big enough for everyone to crash. Not too fancy, but with sleepting bags, we can do it. Kitchen is also available. As for logisitics, we meet at my house and get shuttled down to the boat in Dana Point (or have a friend drop you off at DP). Cost will be boat and entrance fee. Look, I grew up on Catalina Island. I can ride there anytime I want, but parts of this route are normally off limits to bikes and the whole thing sound like fun.

2. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    "Nobody beats the Wiz!" - Seinfeld character reference ;-)

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

When I went, I left from Balboa and unless the organizers of this this event made arrangements for additional ferries to be scheduled, plan on staying the night cause at the time, the last ferry left at 4pm. I had reservations at one of the bungalows there. Of course you can't check in till 2pm. So when you arrive about 9:30am, then have to wait to for the conservancy to open at 11am to get your permit, then wait for for room to be available at 2pm, there's a lot of time wasted. Luckily for me, the place I had reservations at allowed me to keep my stuff, minus the bike, in a locked room near their lobby until my room was available.

4. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

It is a tough one day trip unless you get your permit in advance. We have a boat and ride every time we go there. It is beautiful and worth the effort to ride there at least once. I am really looking forward to the single track - it is normally off limits. And, you will have a permit good for a year! Even you don't want to ride the full distance next time, just get off the boat in Two Harbors and ride to Avalon. Hop on the ferry and you have an easy one day trip with 24 miles and plenty of climbing. A friend just did it and had plenty of time for a beer in Avalon before they had yo catch their ferry home.

I am going with a group of about 10 people, affilitated with a large group of STR folks. It will be a fun event!

5. Baub

Baub New Member

Been there, in the water, more times than I can count, but not so much on land. Signed up for the Number 2 route.

6. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Mike, I hear ya about the experience - good stuff for sure. I've been on the island twice, and it was pretty fantastic.

Wizard - you da man for making an offer like that!!! I'd love to take you up on such an offer, but I still won't be able to make it this year. Next year (assuming it's going to be repeated) I may have more funds available. Right now I'm gearing (and saving) up for the Rwanda 50.

7. Sprankle

Sprankle Chicks Dig Scars....

Software Development
    Team of 5 going, middle route.
    Buddy has a boat!!

8. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

Im going with my uncle, we are riding the middle route. We are doing a day trip. I cant wait for the experience!

9. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Okay just registered! Woohoo! Just need to figure out where I am going to be staying. Yay!

10. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

The OC Register Deal of the Day sometimes has half-price round trip boat tickets to Catalina- $35 instead of $70 per person. We already bought a set for the family this year.
    There are some cheap places to eat, but Decent lodging is not cheap over there. I have stayed over there for free by going to a timeshare presentation, so that's always an option too.

I am a poor cheapskate, so I am always seeking out *The Deal*

11. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    I'm still considering it. My mom has a boat, and is always asking me to go with her. So I'm just waiting to see if I can swing taking a few days off work. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Catalina riding. The island itself is absolutely gorgeous. (*****talking herself into registering as she responds to thread.....)

12. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales
    I'm in!! For the middle route. :bang:....

13. Baub

Baub New Member

Any ideas on trail types for the middle route? From what i can tell it looks like much of it is fire and paved roads. Trying to decide on hardtail or susprension.
    Also, at this point I know no one so will be riding solo. Booked a room for that night and boat ride for whole family. Looking forward to a quick island getaway.

14. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    Hard tail for sure. I'm solo also. Let's hook up.

15. Baub

Baub New Member

Thanks and you got it.

16. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I'm in (PM sent). This looks like a lot of fun, if for no other reason in that it's something completely different.

I'm actually heading over there next week for a little vacation. We're staying in Avalon (I think). Any suggestions on a 20-25 mile ride that might give me an idea of the course. We'll be there for a few days but will probably just get 1 ride in. I know there's no singletrack to ride. Are there fireroads to explore, or is it mainly just a couple of main fireroads that connect sections of the island?

17. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    My wife and I rode at Catalina on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. It was quite a unique experience. Very cool to be riding on an island like that and I can hardly wait for the Gran Fondo now. The first ride we did was basically the short route backwards. Then the next day we did a good portion of the medium route. There are some steep climbs, but from what we did it was mainly the area right around Avalon. All the other climbs were pretty reasonable. We saw the herd of buffalo roaming around, plus a bald eagle (in captivity). It really was quite an experience. I'm signed up for the long route and was debating on which bike to ride, but after riding there I'm definitely riding my 29er hardtail SS.

Getting the pass to ride was super easy at the Conservancy. I just brought my Gran Fondo entry receipt with me. My wife had to buy one, but they let us upgrade to the $65 couple pass and we just had to pay the $30 difference. You're not just getting the ride pass, but a membership in the conservancy which gives you discounts on quite a number of things on the island (we saved $12 on Kayak rentals). I think it gives you half price on camping if anyone's thinking of camping.

The boat ride and parking is a little expensive, but everything on the island seemed to be pretty reasonably priced.

Our first ride (the shorter route) - http://app.strava.com/rides/5291137
    Ride to the Airport loop - http://app.strava.com/rides/5291142

Also, the food at the airport was worth the stop. Had a buffalo burger and one of the best tasting cookies I've ever had.

18. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    Nat Ross Press Release

How rad would it be to have Nat Ross as your coach for a month?! He just sent me this to pass along to all who may be interested. We have 2 more weeks to send in entries, (even though the press release says differently). Thought it was pretty rad.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...&sig=AHIEtbQM-sqFe_s8tqMejxCeMp4NSXutwQ&pli=1

......"From now until March 12 *(pushed back 2 weeks from today)*, any racer who is pre-registered can submit a 200-500 word essay to [email protected] or [email protected] on how they would benefit from a month of coaching from Nat Ross. Riders can also share their coolest mountain bike experience, why they are competing in the Catalina Island Grand Fondo as well as upcoming goals for the season and what weakness they want to work on!

On March 13th
    *(pushed back 2 more weeks!!!)*, one lucky winner will be chosen out of the entries and be awarded the month training session...."

19. HBeric

HBeric New Member

Commercial Real Estate
    A couple of non-STR friends and I are signed up for the middle route, and I have a cousin that is riding the long route. See you all there!

20. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    We're just 10 days away. 10-day weather forecast looks pretty good.....67 degrees, partly cloudy, 10% chance of rain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.