Brake line sawing through my frame!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Brewtal, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

Class act...

DirtymikeTDB.....beyond outstanding what you did for Brewtal. Folks like you are just another example of why I participate here at STR.

Now if we could only get the Ants and the Grasshoppers to get along........

Attached Files:

2. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    Lmao, I found the same problem on my '08 SJ FSR a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea this was such a widespread issue. Anyways, my fix was to put three layers of duct tape cut to around 2" x 1" over the offending area. Seems to be working just fine after riding a hundred miles plus since. And I LOVE my Specialized Fast Shitting Rectum (FSR). It RAWKS!!!!!

:bang:

3. g-dub

g-dub Member

If cable rub on an aluminum is lawsuit worthy, imagine what chainsuck on carbon fiber could bring in court?

Cable rub happens.

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

In all complete honesty, it really wasnt that much. litterally less than fiv eminute son the phone with our warranty rep, he didnt even ask for the serial or the pictures...... Told him what I saw, he checked inventory.... Really great company to work with...

5. Zokefan

Zokefan New Member

US Army
    I'm sure it's been said a few times in this thread so far, but the first thing I do when I buy a new bike/frame is look at all the possible places on the frame I could get cable rub and either reinforce it with tape or rubber, and if possible, reroute the cable. I know you shouldn't have to but nothing is engineered perfect. We usually don't think about stuff like that when we buy a bike. It took that same thing happening to me on a brand new DH frame I bought a few years ago to start looking at possible cable rub spots on a new frame. It sucks! Especially when we pay so much money for our bikes.

If it bothers you that much, you could always replace the chainstay...that would probably be your best option. It might cost a little but would be well worth it. I had to do that to an old BigHit I had a while back. I think I paid something like $75 for it back in '05...only mine was a seat stay. So far, I've had pretty good luck with my Flatline having little/no cable run...DOH! I think I just jinxed myself! #-o

6. DC29er

DC29er New Member

Brewtal while cleaning my Stumpjumper expert 29er I found the same damn thing yesterday. Only quite a bit worse than yours. I started looking after I read this thread. Hard to believe I never saw it before. Now thanks to all of you guys I know what to do. Thanks ya'll.

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

His warranty replacement chainstay is sitting on my shelf at the shop now..... Been there since thursday.

Brewtal.... let me know when you can come up...

8. gregspangler

gregspangler notsofast

Firefighter
    Have you tried or heard of Automotive Goop and/or Plastidip? The first can fix just about anything, and might work well as a barrier against the aforementioned rubbing. It hardens really well and I have fixed kids hard plastic toys. Havent tried it on bikes but your thread got me thinking. It is the right amount of rubberyness and hardness that just might do the trick. The second is also cool stuff, but much more rubbery than the first but you can dip stuff in it and make rubber coatings. Cool stuff.