Brake line sawing through my frame!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Brewtal, Mar 30, 2010.

1. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

All that does is change what is rubbing against the frame. You will still get frame wear. You want some thing on the frame it self that the line can rub against. Thats the only way to prevent your frame from getting worn if a housing rubs against it.

2. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    I guess you are supposed to ride your rig and it should never wear out, never have damage from chain slap etc:?:.

That cable rub looks pretty minor to me, your are most likely feeling the loss of paint more than the actual loss of material thickness on tubing itself.

I don't understand trashing a mfg for their product showing wear after who knows how many rides. All frames regardless of mfg have places where this happens..put some chafe protection on it and ride :bang:

3. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    E tape over the gouge and then zip tie a plastic wire guide (screw down type) over it. The brake hose can be routed through the loop passage unhithered.

A couple of wire guides worked great for the routing of hoses and cable near the "taco shell" of my Turner frame.

4. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

Well, thanks to those who actually understood what I was saying. Also for the constructive input/feedback. For the rest: I understand cable rub happens; I have it on the lower crown of my fork and it is purely cosmetic. Doesn't bother me at all. I understand the concept of normal wear and tear. I understand that a mountain bike will get scratched, chipped, and dinged. I understand that there are inexpensive products and techniques that could have prevented this from happening. I also understand that bikes go through rigorous testing prior to their release in order to find, among other things, flaws in design. This, I feel, definitely falls in to that category. It is BEYOND cosmetic. I am not upset because how the damage looks. There is a gash being carved out of the frame by the brake line as an obvious result of poor planning and design. The way the frame's suspension is designed is causing the cable to work in a sawing, not just merely rubbing, manner when the suspension is activated with my 210 lbs of weight on it.

Sure, hindsight clearly tells me I could have done something to prevent this from happening. But as a consumer that spent close to $3,000 on a product from a reputable and ginormou$ company, I would expect the design of said product to work in a manner that is not self destructive and potentially dangerous. I consider the things I do to the bike (dropping, crashing, caveman maintenance, improper settings/adjustments/mods) as my responsibility. I do not think I should have to go over the bike with an engineer's fine tooth comb and look for things the manufacturer may have missed or not taken in to consideration. That is part of the reason I take my bike to the shop for regular maintenance and inspection. It is a bit ignorant to diagnose this as "minor" and insult my intelligence by stating this is "loss of paint rather than material" based on a photo when I have the frame right in front of me. Is it so impossible to conceive the idea that a manufacturer may have made a mistake? (Google Toyota)

Again, I completely understand that cable rub will happen and damage the finish but this is, as I mentioned in the original post, beyond cosmetic. I also understand that there are things I can do to prevent further damage but my concern at the moment is that the strength of the frame in this area has already been compromised. If I am overreacting, then, by all means, take a file and remove an equal amount of material from your frame in the same area and "go ride."

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ok, I am going to have a little bit of a bitch fest here.....But here me out, its going to make some sense, I promise

First off....Stop bashing speccy, they are by far not the only Manf that would tell you this. EVERY MANF OUT THERE will say the same thing..... thats wear and tear on a moving item. Doesnt matter who you bought it from, any and all bikes have little repetitive movements on the brakelines, shifter housings and anything else that might rub. It happens, you have to watch for it, and WHEN you start to see a little evidence of it.... stop it with frame patches, 3m sticky vinyl, soft side of velcro anything.

I understand what people are saying about...What if this is your car, what if you had to add black tape to your coffee pot, what if your drill fell apart from internal rubbing, what if what if what if..... Who gives a shit, it is those what if's....and its far too late in teh bicycle industry to change how any and all of the manf's out there think.... We have bent over and taken it in the ass on pricing, warranty, quality, consumer product testing post release vs proper full testing....For WAY to long that now we just have to deal with what we are told.

As a bike builder, when I build up speccy's fsr bikes, guess what I do..... I take and cut up a sheet of 3m sticky vinyl that I get over at chapparal<Im sure its available many other places> and I look at every single spot the cable touches the frame, and I put a little peice in between. But guess what else.....I do this on any and all bikes I build, its an easy step, its cheap, its fast, it prevents alot of headache in the future.

Im not trying to slam anyone directly, Im not trying to back eitehr side...I am simply saying it how the world is on this situation.

Bottom line is, we as consumers, have allowed it to get like this from the Manf's. The only thing we can truly do, is check our equipment more often, and nip stuff in the butt like this ass soon as it comes up.

6. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I had a similar thing happen on my Trek Carbon frame. The bike had a remote lock out for the rear shock. Everytime you locked or unlocked it rubbed against the frame. After 4 years of wear there was a whole all the way through the frame. #-o 4 weeks later, Trek sent me a new frame. :)

My recommendation is to take it to your Speshy dealer and let them know about the "design flaw". Cable rub is normal, sawing through the frame is not. I made several inquiries within the 4 years before it broke and was diligent about cleaning my cable housing. Trek was cool about it.

7. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

The rubber is softer than the paint/powdercoas/anodize and doesn't remove anything. I'll show you my bike if you doubt it...

8. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  9. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Calzone has a good point, but also the cable housing is softer than metal too and that didn't stop it from wearing. It may slow down the wearing because it is softer but it won't stop it. Heck, skin is softer than metal too but look at a hand rail at an amusment park, those get worn down just from people touching them. Point being, where there is friction there is wear.

10. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Since I can practically guarentee that you will get no where with your LBS. Try sending a polished version of what you just wrote to the big S.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ive seen more than a few peices destroyed from rubber rubbing on it over time. You need something stationary on the frame, if the rubber hose is still rubbing, depending on all of what gets on it, it very well indeed work into the metal and dig through.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Hey Brewtal..... SO you know, I am in the process of getting in touch with our speccy rep to see if we can do anything...... I gotta ask two things though before I go to far with it

1, you are the original owner correct?
    2, do you still have your originalo sales receipt showing were you purchased it?

13. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Mike, would you be able to tell/inform them about my frame too? Basically, the line-rub was more or less the LBS's (RockNRoad) fault after a shit load of shitty service. Same story as Brewtal, except that the LBS installed the lines.

Thanks
    Andrew

Edit: Or is this something I should take up with the LBS first?

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

As someone who is invloved with service, I really appriciate getting the chance to stand behind my work, so I would talk to them first, see what they have to say, and go from there. I dont know what I would be able to do in that case through speccy if its something were they misrouted the lines, On Brewtal's thats how they were meant to go.... so I am actually optimistic about something able to happen.

Talk to them, let me know, and I will at least talk to our rep about it.

15. Brewtal

That is very cool of you Mike, I sincerely appreciate the effort! Thank you. :beer:
    The answer is yes, to both questions. DOP was 6-24-09 from LBS in Simi Valley. I haven't been able to make it out there yet to talk to them about it though.
    On a related note, my buddy has an 08 Stumpy, purchased a couple months before mine, and he has the same issue.
    The main reason I mention that is not to rally every Specialized owner to grab torches and pitchforks but, rather, to go and check your frame/rear brake line and take preventive action to protect the area.
    Thanks again, Mike!

16. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Okay talked to my rep today, gotta call warranty and lay itout for them..... Im not in everyday so I will pass on more when I know...... Could I get you to email me full size pics?

[email protected]

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Hey Brewtal.... Chainsaty should be here by thursday......... Left you a PM with info so you can get up here. I will not be in when you get tehre so I will give all the info to Eddie, when you go in, talk to him....... he will get it set up for you to drop off so we can install it. Make sure you bring the receipt with you please

For the record, it took less than a minute to get the ok for a warranty replacement.......more time was involved in making sure they had it in stock

18. Brewtal

That is beyond awesome, Thank you!
    PM replied

:bang:

19. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

hey, the brake line on my Enduro sawed through the whole bike and its gone, can i get a frame replacement? :lol:

Glad to hear everything worked out good :)

20. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Parts are in Brewtal...... let me know when your coming in