Brake line sawing through my frame!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Brewtal, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    dump the frame as in throw away it in the trash?
    i'm sorry but... if you find your frame not worthy and safe enough for you to ride why would want to 'dump' it on someone else... just asking. :?:

perhaps the big S should start putting some protective material in some of these 'wear' areas as they seem to know it's a problem, especially since they ship most all of their bikes pre-built.

2. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    I use these for that problem, or a cut tube.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54071-255-4729595N_4294925638_4294937087?productId=3034718&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__4294925638_4294937087_?identifier=$Va=33

3. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Quit bitching about it, protect the frame and go riding.

4. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  5. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

Absolutely unsafe to ride. I don't blame Specialized for not covering "wear and tear" either. Your only option is to throw it in the trash.

Please PM with your address and the day your trash gets picked up.

6. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    I have to agree with evdog on the fact that cable rub happens. I had the same issue with my Reign. The rear cable rubbed the frame, and the housing was weakened to the point that I begun to lose braking power but couldn't see any damage to the affected area (housing). As I inspected it closer, while actuating the brake lever, the line burst. Giant was kind enough to warranty it, but it took weeks for me to get a replacement line. I recommend you change your brake line now, before catastrophe strikes.:-k

7. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Hey, you get out of here with that logic stuff! :lol:

8. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Just had a huge rant about RockNRoad because (after jumping through many hoops) they decided to reroute the cable through the TT instead of the DT (which has bosses for the cable), now I have a gouge similar to yours below where the Seat tube meets the Top Tube.

9. glattime

glattime Member

Have an 08 Stumpy and mine used to do the same thing. I just pulled a little more slack in the line so it doesn't touch the frame there. Pretty easy fix that has worked for 2 years now.

10. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

All bikes can have frame rub. If it's not on the chain stays it's on the head tube or maybe it's rubbing on the fork crown or a swing link. At any rate, it's not that big of a deal and IMO part of bike maintenance. Any bike I get the first thing I do is figure out where the housings are rubbing then put some thing there to protect it. My GF just sold a bike that she got alot less for than if she would of taken care of it. It had housing rub all over the frame and the fork. When she got her new bike I made sure that I put a frame protection where ever a cable made contact with something.

11. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I know it sounds stupid, but to protect my bike, I took some clear tape and put it over my frame where the cables can/will touch (i.e. rattling or suspension flex) so it has to go through the tape first. Also, when I discovered the cable rubbing through, I made a little makeshift thing so as to route the cable away from my frame. Hard to explain in words though. I know putting tape on a bike sounds stupid but I rather protect it than destroy my frame.

12. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    That's crazy talk. Tape practically holds my entire bike together. I like it in the electrical flavor the most, it matches.

13. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

^^^ You need some thing more durable than just clear tape, especially if it's packing tape. Packing tape dries out and disinagrates and regular house hold tape is to brittle and thin. The best stuff I have found is 3M invisable bra paint protectant tape that you can get at an automotive paint supply store but it can be a little expensive. Since all my bikes are flat black, I just use electrical tape though.

14. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I don't use packing tape, and it isn't the clear kind that you use in the household. I don't know what it's called, but it's pretty durable and I usually retape the area I want to protect about 7 times for good measure..

15. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    Velcro strips cut to size.

16. hookup

hookup New Member

I guess I should have picked a better choice of words than "dump". What I was trying to say was I have the same issue, which happens on many different frames. To me, it is pretty much a cosmetic issue, that is slightly unsightly, but certainly not unsafe by any means. I was saying just tape over it and go ride.

I will perhaps upgrade to something different in a year or so. I will pass the frame along to my son or a friend if I do, as I feel Spec makes a good, quality product.

17. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    I know it is a bit late now, but get some self adhesive teflon sheet and cut out a patch anywhere where cables may rub, rocks hit the frame etc. It is super tough and very slippery, so it will protect both the frame and cables/hoses.
    Get it at: http://www.mcmaster.com/#sheets-(made-with-teflon-ptfe)/=6g86pu and click on film.
    Not the cheapest option but one of the most durable and tough products I have tried.

18. YakityYak

YakityYak Is

Even if "chain slap and cable rub" are considered normal wear, if there is actual metal gone that is causing a weak point, it could be argued that that isn't normal wear. If this is the way the factory routes the cable, there is a very good argument for liability if there were structure failure.

19. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

I just cut small 1" lengths of automotive rubber fuel line, that has the correct ID, slice it lengthwise and put it on the line where the rub is..... and no problem.

20. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

+1 on all bikes have rub...most road bikes come with a "sticker pack"..some with logos and some without...to apply to areas where cable housing comes into any contact with the frame...whether they be carbon, aluminum, ti, or steel...even going back to the mid 90's.

Count it as lesson learned. Kind of like over-tightening the water bottle cage mount even if it doesn't have a listed max torque...baby powder the tubes and tires...gotta learn these things somehow, and better on the forum than later on in a more frustrating way.