575 vs sb 66

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andrew8404, Nov 22, 2011.

1. andrew8404

andrew8404 New Member

Paramedic
    I test rode the SB 66 this week at Jensons and loved it. It is still my dream bike! But I have a hard time paying full price for a bike that I know will be discounted in the future. Especially when I don't have that kind of money to begin with! Enter in the 575 and the sweet deal Huck n Roll is having on them for 2100. I didn't get a chance to test ride one but seems like such a sweet bike especially for the price! My question is a 1400 dollar difference really worth it? The climbing aspect I guess is my main concern. I know on the downhill both will be just fine for me.

2. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

bike shop employee / independant contractor
    Are you going to be happy knowing you settled for less? I waste so much on initial under-buying.

edit: in my opinion though, it's not worth it. Are you yeti obsessed, understandable as they're gorgeous well performing bicycles, but you're comparing two different types of bikes. I'm sure there is something in your price range thats more equivalent to the sb66, it just wont come in that tiffany blue haha

3. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

How about the screamin' deal competitive cyclilst has on the ASR7 for $999.

4. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    As a friend once told me, "Buy it. You make good money, why cheap out?" I don't know your finances but if you have a decent job and aren't eating ramen I say buy it too. I test rode the SB 96 and was impressed. Both bikes [575, SB 66] will depreciate once you roll them home. If you are set on the SB66, buy the SB 66. Ride the hell out of it and in 3 years when the next wonderbike comes out, sell the SB 66 and buy it.

5. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

There is nothing else I spend money on that brings me as much happiness as my bike. That means I spend as much money as I can reasonably afford on my bike.

6. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I have regretted spending money on stuff in the past but never have I regretted spending money on a bike. Right now I have more money invested in bikes than in my car.

Dean

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Dammmit...I was supposed to demo an SB-66 today, but I am sick, so I didn't get my chance. I have been riding a 575 ('07 then '09 version) for 4 years. I can tell you this, I like the way my 575 climbs over chunky stuff. With the propedal off, it seems to dig in and churn right through. I demoed a Blur LT carbon on some familiar chunky trails and I felt my 575 kept its momentum better. I also recently demoed the Knolly Chilcotin and felt my 575 was at least equal if not better climbing. Both could have to do with familiarity and tires. The new (2011+) 575 comes with a thru axle rear, which should improve it even more.

Now, my buddy has been on a 575 for years and switched to a Pivot Mach 5 and he says the Pivot climbs better. On the other hand, he's even slower than I am uphill, so who knows? Did you look at the Pivot Mach 5.7? That looks like a sweet do-it-all bike.

All that said - if you loved the SB-66 and can afford it, get it. You didn't demo the 575, so don't assume it is similar. Based on demand, SB-66s won't be discounted for quite some time. If you get the 575, don't get all teary eyed when you see an SB-66.

@rjrbignell - it's not Tiffany Blue - it's Yeti Team Turquoise!!! Of course, they are available in bland colors too, if you don't have the courage to rock the Yeti team colors.

YetiTwins1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  8. andrew8404

andrew8404 New Member

Paramedic
    Thanks for the input, and yes, I would probably still yearn for the SB if I got the 575.I could swing the 575 now but would probably be eating bread crumbs if I did get the SB. So there lies the dilemma. I have looked at other bikes and really like the Turner but those are even more spendy. And there is something really cool about owning a yeti. Kind of like owning a Mac ha ha.

9. andrew8404

andrew8404 New Member

Paramedic
    That's just the frame! This is the complete bike!

10. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Could you finance part of the SB? That may be an option to research.

11. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

The Home Depot GWA
    I know exactly how you feel. I've been drooling over the SB66 since it came out. I to can swing the 575 but I'm gonna wait till I can afford the SB66... in Yeti Team Turquoise of course.

12. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    Buy the SB 66 and eat bread crumbs. You'll get real lean which in turn will make you real fast.

13. andrew8404

andrew8404 New Member

Paramedic
    Ha ha sound advice! Yeah, I think it's best to wait and get what I really want.

14. TreksterFuelex

TreksterFuelex Next to beer, I

Inside sales
    I've always heard great things about the 575. It's always come off as one the tried and true type of bike. As for the SB66, it's a radical design for the company. From all the videos out on the net regarding the new design and its application it certainly looks to be well worth the extra bank. You already said you would cry if you saw someone else out on the trails with a SB66 while you're rocking the 575. With as long as it takes for the wait time to get it, you're better off saving your money in the meantime. That being said, I'd opt for the SB66. I think in long run of things, my only concern with the bike is the all of the moving mechanical parts. Seems like it would be one more thing to have to maintain to ensure the efficiency of the bike. When all is said and done, it's certainly a gorgeous looking bike! I've yet to see one on the trail. The damn thing is like a unicorn.

@herzalot I hear what you're saying about "team colors." When you look at the black, lime, and white it's hard to make a decision...8-[

black.jpg lime.jpg white.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous...:clap:

15. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I own a 2008 575 and have been very happy with it. That said, the 66 seems to be the next step in Yeti's evolution and the reviews I've seen imply that it's a better riding bike. My concerns are similar to others mentioned here, primarily the potential for maintenance issues, squeaks & creaks, etc., due to the extra pivots. That said, those same concerns exist with most bikes in its class (Pivot, Ibis, etc.). I guess if you like to carry a water bottle on the bike, the 66's shock placement is a problem too :)

I also agree with not settling, but $1400 is a big difference. What would you do with that difference, and how would it enhance your riding experience? Would you rather just save the money, or build a blingtastic 575, or have a lesser build of a SB-66? Only you can judge the relative value of each for you. Either way, you're getting a fun bike!

16. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I'll take the white one please, or I might have to wait until they add a splash of turquoise to the white. As for the worry about pivots and creaks - this is Yeti we're talking about. People said similar things about the sliding rail on the 303 - absolutely no problems. They spent two years designing the SB-66 frame. I doubt they took shortcuts, and I trust that they thought about the durability, serviceability and potential for squeaks and creaks. It won't be a pre-2008 Blur! Get one dammit and let us know if it makes you smile!

17. Silver

Silver New Member

Try them both. The geometry is a little different - you might find out that you like the 575 more for the riding you do.

18. andrew8404

andrew8404 New Member

Paramedic
    Well, after some tuff thinking I decided to go with the 575. I got it for 2150 out the door with no taxes and its coming with fox kashima coating front and back! I figure for the price I can't let this baby go. I would love the SB 66 but can't justify the extra 1400 dollars and eating crumbs for months. Besides, if I don't like the 575 Huck N Roll will allow me to return it no questions asked within 30 days. Sounds like a win win for me! I'm pumped! Should get the bike the first week of December. I will post pics when I get the chance!

19. jokercykoe

jokercykoe New Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    Great choice.

20. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    I never thought I could say the word Yeti. Now I'm in love with them! I test rode a 575 on McGill trail not too long ago (2 Months?). I took half a day to set up the suspension (totally worth the time!). Hated it on the climb (the seat post was too short and the bars set too high, so I rode it up the road, even that was difficult (I bet I looked like Mary Poppins sitting all straight up in the air). But MAN! When I hit the singletrack, that baby just flew! I'm typically an out of saddle descender but that 575 had me all changed up about half way down. I was in the saddle most of the time letting the suspension do it's thang! Good line, bad line, it didn't matter, just point and shoot. The frame was so solid and the suspension was suuuuperrrb!

I think the SB will descend every bit as good as the 575, but I think it will climb a lot better. I got my eye on the SB-95. If I wait for the composite frame I will have most likely died of old age.

My advice. Pay the price, cry once. Get the SB-66. Don't settle on your passion.....
    ~Mikie